Brushing and flossing are the simplest and most common ways to practice optimum dental hygiene. But did you know that merely brushing and flossing your teeth cannot remove food particles and plaque from the occlusal grooves of your teeth? This is when dental sealants come to your rescue.
What are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are thin, acrylic coatings applied on the chewing surface of your teeth, particularly on the premolars and molars, intending to prevent tooth decay. These sealants bond into the grooves and depression of your teeth, thereby forming a protective shield over the enamel.
How Are Dental Sealants Applied?
The application of dental sealants is not a painful process. Our dentists take only a few minutes to apply the sealant and cover each of your teeth against the accumulation of plaque, tartar, and tooth decay.
- We will first perform a thorough cleaning of your teeth, after which each tooth is dried. An absorbent material such as cotton is put around the tooth to dry it.
- Now, an etching solution is applied on all the chewing surfaces of your teeth. This solution roughens the teeth that further helps the sealant bond to the teeth effectively.
- Our dentists then rinse and dry your teeth, after which sealant is applied to the tooth enamel. We will shape it as required to mimic the contour of the tooth. We also use a special curing light to harden the sealant and finalize its contour.
Who Should Get Dental Sealants?
The good thing about dental sealants is that every person is qualified to get them. The chances of developing decay in the grooves of premolars, molars, and depressions of the mouth are common in children and teenagers. Thus, they can opt for this procedure. Even adults without fillings or decay in their teeth can opt for dental sealants. In some cases, dental sealants are applied to baby teeth as well.
What are the Benefits of Dental Sealants?
- Dental sealants provide strong protection against plaque and food residues. The plaque wouldn't build up in the grooves, hence making it easier for you to maintain oral hygiene.
- The procedure is quick, hassle-free, and pain-free. You are merely required to schedule an appointment with our dentist, and we'll have the procedure completed in a single visit.
- Dental sealants provide added support to your oral hygiene and last for up to ten years.
- They are easy to repair and maintain. Dental sealants can be covered by your dental insurance as well.
- Dental sealants are an inexpensive procedure, and people of all ages can opt for the same.
Please reach out to our dental practice in Fremont, CA, to have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Louie. Please call us at (510) 656-7778 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.
Ready to schedule a consultation?