If you are dissatisfied with an imperfect smile, there are plenty of ways by which you can improve the appearance of your teeth. Dental crowns can be used to correct damage to the tooth’s enamel and hide its impairment. These artificial restorations offer a long-lasting solution for major dental problems and usually last for twenty to thirty years. At Louie Family Dentistry, we provide patients with superior-quality crowns that can restore the smile aesthetics and function of the tooth.
Why Is a Dental Crown Needed?
Not every damaged tooth requires a full dental crown to restore it; some can be reinstated with cosmetic contouring or dental bonding. However, there are many instances when capping your tooth with a dental crown is the best solution, such as:
- Protect a weakened tooth affected by decay from breaking
- Help hold together parts of a fractured tooth
- Restore a severely broken or worn down tooth
- Support and conceal a tooth with a large filling
- Provide support to a dental bridge
- Safeguard a tooth that has had root canal therapy
- Shield misshaped or severely discolored teeth
- Cover a dental implant
- Enable cosmetic modifications
How Does the Dental Crown Procedure Work?
The dental crown procedure can be accomplished in two appointments. During the first visit, X-rays of your mouth will be taken to get a clear image of both the tooth and the surrounding bone. In case there is tooth decay or infection, a root canal may have to be performed.
Next, we will reshape the affected tooth. Once that has been done, an impression will be taken to create a precise mold of your mouth. A porcelain or ceramic dental crown is made to match the exact dimensions of your natural teeth. If necessary, a temporary crown can be worn while the permanent one is being made. Once the crown is ready, it will be attached to the affected tooth and secured in place.
What Are The Benefits Of Dental Crowns?
- They can salvage a severely damaged tooth, especially in cases of tooth decay, stress, and trauma.
- They help keep a dead tooth from declining further. An infection of the tooth pulp cannot be reversed, resulting in the death of the inner tooth. After a root canal procedure, they can help strengthen the treated tooth.
- They offer the best protection for a tooth with a history of tooth decay.
- They help conceal many imperfections in teeth, such as crooked, chipped, and discolored teeth.
- They can give you an even smile.
If you are interested in learning more about dental crowns, call Louie Family Dentistry in Fremont, CA 94538 at (510) 656-7778 and schedule an appointment.
Ready to schedule a consultation?